Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Women In Zambia

Today, I had some of the most amazing meetings. Thanks to the help of MP Mulama and Albert Munanga, and others I felt very prepared. When you are prepared doors open. If you know something going in there is greater mutual respect and...you just plain learn more! A 300 level course is always more informative than a 100 level course, but you have to earn it.



My first meeting was with the YWCA in Lukasa. These ladies are amazing. They have a plan in working for women's rights in a country that has a tradition of strongly favoring men. We talked politics and about AIDS prevention, and domestic violence prevention, etc. These are all issues that I have encountered as a State Senator. Even today, I face discrimination from my own leadership. Abuses take many forms.

Later, I met with the Women's Caucus of the Members of Parliament. It was a huge honor to have been introduced by Mr. Speaker on the opening day of the Zambian Parliament! I stood and MP's gave me a few Here-Here's. Having met some of the women MP's previously, I was asked into the women's lounge and joined by several members. I told them about the National Foundation of Women Legislators and several other things.



Hon. Dorothy Kazunga (MP), Senator Pam Roach, and Jane Mwakasungula with the Development Research Group that is hosting my visit... outside the doors of Parliament. Note the Zambian seals on the doors.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Location:Thabo Mbeki Rd,Lusaka,Zambia

No comments: